Hartford county. First settled, 1740. Incorporated, 1806. Population, 1830, 1,437. Collinsville is the principal village in the town, at which a large amount of axes, of a superior quality, are annually made. It lies 16 miles N.W. by W. from Hartford and 16 N.E. from Litchfield. This village presents a beautiful appearance, and is a noble specimen of individual enterprize. The soil of Canton is coarse and stony, and the surface is hilly. Farmington river passes through its S.W. corner.